Thursday, May 19, 2011

Moving Forward Sometimes Takes A Push

Sorry it's taken so long to spit this one out..I have been waiting on it, as I wasn't sure I wanted to talk about it. But as a man who constantly preaches Men's health, mental and physical Im not sure why it took me so long to write about it.

I went , on the doctors suggestion, to a therapist 3 weeks ago. From my last post, I am obviously not fully comfortable with my new look as well I was having some troubles with the whole "Near Death Experience" Thing.

It seems there are many people that think once you come that close.....You immediately have a crazy life changing dramatic experience. You see a light and move towards it and look down and see yourself...Then fall back in to your own body...Wake up...Stop swearing..Cut Meat out of your diet and go to church...

Well that may be true for many but not this kid...

I may tell people that "I saw Jesus calling me to me, beckoning me to his bosom. As I floated up, I heard the voice of my friend Derek Waters calling me back, I turned and saw Derek on a Giant Unicorn with nothing but a Glow in the Dark Sword and a pocket full of Churro's, Derek lured me back to my body." That did not happen (It may however have been a morphine induced delusion....But im pretty sure it happened way after I was out of harms way).

I have been feeling a lot of guilt that my life changing story isn't what people think of as a definitive moment in my life...That I should change my life in drastic ways to show my appreciation for being given a second chance....That Maybe I don't deserve another shot at this. But My life was Rad Before, It's only gonna get Radder (I will use that if I want to), And im so happy to have it back! Everything tastes better! I want to go skate the beach every second of every day. I never want to ever see a Cigarette again. I want to ensure that I take care of this vessel for the next 35yrs....But I have no "Find Jesus, Aliens probed me, Going Vegetarian, Im gonna move to Japan and save dolphins moment", That so many people ask about.

After meeting with Syd (The Therapist) I no longer have those guilty feelings, Syd explained that when people hear about what happened to me, they Google "Near Death Experience". What they see is a long list of stories of people floating over their bodies, Moving towards a light, Being spoken to etc...That are now going to drastically change their ways.

What they don't find however is the thousands of other people in the world who didn't have one of those experiences...Those people who already loved what they had and just appreciate life so much more and can't wait to get back to it...By the sounds of it...Im in good company.

Im going to keep going back to Syd, See if I Can't work out some other things that are bothering me or maybe holding me back...I only have a limited time on this earth...And I want to go as far as I possibly can!


I want to dedicate this blog to Gilles, Matty, Mark, Brad, Tammy, Matt, James and Derek....I'm sorry you never were able to talk it out...I will never know the darkness you lived in.

"Scar Tissue is Stronger Than Regular Tissue, Realize the Strength, Move On." - Henry Rollins

5 comments:

  1. Gosh Bubs, I'm so happy that you wrote this! I'm even happier that you made such a big step to do something so important for yourself. I have just recently started going to a therapist too and I think it is the healthiest and best present I could have ever given myself.
    I'm glad that you are recovering so quickly and that you are able to put this awful expereince in it's place in your life and not measure yourself against standards that someone else has set.
    Love you!
    xo
    Jord

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Bubba. You have always lived your life to the fullest potential and always loved every step of it! I am sorry that you ever felt guilty for that just because it almost came close to being taken away from you! I am so happy for you that you have been able to recover from this awful experience and are right back at where you started....but better! Big hugs.......xo Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubz, you continue to amaze us with such a positive approach to a crazy situation. The B-town crew misses you tons and you know we don't care that you didn't have "a god moment". Send me your address as the kids have made a bunch of pics for you. Love, Lubert

    ReplyDelete
  4. That came out wrong - we'd love you even if we wanted you to have "a god moment" - which we didn't.

    ReplyDelete